Monday, January 30, 2012

Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high. Take a look, it's in a book!

Greetings friends!
I have decided to today that I will share with you a list of some of my (as of right this moment) favorite books! I have always been a huge reader. By huge reader, I mean I got into trouble with my parents because I was reading TOO much. I would try to do most things one handed with my face in a book of some kind. I wish I could say I read really powerful books, but that's not the case. Although, I did love the Beatrix Potter books when I was young. I was REALLY into Goosebumps and the Baby Sitters Club books. Both the Little Sister series and the original! I was SUPER happy when all of the straight to video movies came out! I am pretty sure I have seen them ALL. Yes, that includes the big one that came out in the theaters. Have any of you seen it? Let's watch the trailer together for some fun nostalgia! Wasn't that fun?! Don't mock. You know you want to watch the entire movie. I won't tell if you do. (I kinda want to too!)
Anyways! Here are ten of my favorite books/series! Enjoy!!


10. The Landry Series by V.C. Andrews
This series includes the books Ruby, Pearl in the Mist, All That Glitters, and Tarnished Gold. I know, I know. So cheesy, right? But I have read and reread this series SO many times. I don't want to give too many things away by describing it myself, but why don't you have a looksie for yourself? To be honest, I don't really know why I love this particular series so much. The only thing I can think of is that I have read it SO many times that it's basically just a comfort thing now.

9. Study Series by Maria V. Snyder
Oh my goodness. This was a  really intense trilogy to read. I just found out there was a fourth book for online reading only too. Hmm.. I just went and added that to my wishlist on amazon. :) I also found out that it has a spinoff trilogy which I am also going to be adding to my wish list! Whoo hoo!! To be honest, it has been awhile since I have read the books, so I am not the best source for a description. Since I am such a nice friend, I will do all the googling magic for you. Poison Study is described here, Magic Study is described here, and Fire Study is described here. I hope I get them soon. I would love to reread them soon. Even though I have about a billion other books to read on my kindle first....

8. The Blue is for Nightmares series by Laurie Stolarz
This series includes the books Blue is for Nightmares, White is for Magic, Silver is for Secrets, and Red is for Remembrance. Another one that I haven't reread for a very long time, but I just loved it. I remember it being another really intense series as well! Wanna know what it's about? Okay!

7. The Home for Broken Hearts by Rowan Coleman
Oh my goodness. This book was an incredibly moving one. Here is a description. I know, I know, it's on an amazon page, but that's the best googling magic I could do for the book. I have only read this one once, but since I can't remember if this is one that I own and have lost (shocking) or if it was a library book. But, if you come across it, read it. If I read it only once and it has stuck with me, you know it was an amazing book!

6. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
You may have seen the movie, but the book is even more breathtaking. It's one of those kinds of books that I think everyone should read at least once. Here is a description. I first saw the movie and it was actually one of my favorites before I even read the book. Now that I have read the book, I would love to watch the movie again.


5. Not Without My Daughter by Betty Mahmoody
Yet again, another book that I read after watching the movie. This book was just incredible. I remember I would get so enraged while reading this book. It really opened my eyes that I am a very lucky woman. Check it out if you are a man or a woman. Seriously. I would love to give a copy of this book to that snotty teenage girl who constantly whines that her parents are assholes and are so "controlling". Bleck.

4. The Millennium series by Stieg Larsson
This series is really only a trilogy which includes the books The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Which makes me sad. Very sad. The author died shortly after (I believe) the third book was published. Such incredible books. The first half of the first book was a tad boring and got REALLY long winded, but if you could get through that, you were rewarded through out the rest of the book and for the next two books. If you went and saw the Amercanized version in the theaters, good for you!  I went on Christmas day with Husband, Husband's mom, and sister. Good lord, that was an intense movie!!! If you haven't and have nettyflix, the original versions are on there. I have yet to watch them since I haven't gotten a chance to, so I can't say if they are any good or not. I think they may be in Swedish though, so you may have to do some reading.

3.The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
Yes, it is the books about a boy and his dragon. His really AWESOME dragon named Saphira. If you have only seen the movie and have not read the books, don't say anything. That movie was NO WHERE near as good as the books. I am currently halfway through the third book of this series and am looking forward to reading the newest and last book. The books included in this series are Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr (How nerdy am I that I didn't have to look it up to know how to spell that?), and Inheritance. I won't give you a description of these books since I am sure you have all heard of these books and know what they are about. If you don't, you can go ahead and picture me with my arms crossed, shaking my head, wagging my finger at you, and me saying "Tsk, Tsk, Tsk."

2. The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris
You may also know them as the Sookie Stackhouse novels... You know, the ones that inspired the tv series, True Blood? No? Here is a little bit of information on them. Sigh. They remind me of another series, which I like a bit more, but that's for another post of my favorite books... I know, the whole vampire thing is over played, but these books are awesome! I liked reading the books that I know you are thinking about, but they are definitely not one of my favorites. In fact, I don't even want to put up a link to any of them for fear of having to google it.

1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
I am not even going to explain why. I will just assume that you are like me, have already read all the books, and love them. Am I alone in wanting my very own house elf? That would be awesome. He or she would have one hell of a time with the cat though. I don't think they would get along very well.

So, there you have it. Some of my favorite books. I won't call them my top ten because I will have remembered other books that I like more than some of these later on. Having to edit is a pain in the butt too. But hey! I figured out how to insert links so that looks a bit nicer, right? Aren't you proud? :) Well friends, I think that is all for now. 
Have a wonderful night!!

P.S. Can anyone tell me where the title is from WITHOUT looking it up? :)

2 comments: